PLEASE NOTE: We are no longer accepting applications for this position. Thank you for your interest!
Academically Excellent. Passionately Catholic.
Executive Director of Marketing and Communications
For a Christian, work should never be just work. It should be a calling, a vocation, an integral part of what leads us to God. That’s the work you’ll find in a career at Franciscan University, where you will become part of a visionary organization in service of the Catholic Church, society, and culture.
The Executive Director of Marketing and Communication is a challenging and rewarding opportunity for an exceptionally competent and mission-dedicated marketing professional. Serving in this newly created position, the Executive Director will lead the efforts to centralize Franciscan University’s branding, marketing, and communications functions and will execute a strategic and integrated marketing plan. Reporting directly to the President and serving as a member of the senior leadership team, the Executive Director will build an operation that provides strategic branding, marketing, and communication direction across the University community.
While the University has been successful at building a very strong identity among our primary constituents, we are looking for someone who can help us achieve recognition among new audiences as a premier national Catholic university.
With changes in the higher education market and facing an era of increased competition, we recognize the necessity of expanding awareness of our University as academically excellent and passionately Catholic. The Executive Director will increase awareness of Franciscan University within the higher education community as having an unqualified commitment to academic excellence. Additionally, the Executive Director will spearhead our efforts to differentiate Franciscan University from other Catholic colleges and universities on the basis of the distinctive characteristics that define the Franciscan University experience.
As part of the Franciscan University family, you’ll have the opportunity to be a part of an institution that J. Francis Cardinal Stafford, former president of the Pontifical Council of the Laity, described as “central to the reform and the renewal of the Catholic Church after the Second Vatican Council.”
You’ll work for and with the Church, alongside like-minded men and women who share your values and your desire to transform the culture. You’ll be challenged by the work and rewarded by the fruit it bears. Above all, you’ll find the purpose and meaning that work, done well and done rightly, can give to a life.
The Executive Director of Marketing and Communications will oversee the University’s branding, marketing, advertising, publications, media relations, website, social media, and internal communications efforts in a manner that promotes the identity of Franciscan University as a passionately Catholic, academically excellent institution and facilitates the achievement of institutional strategic goals.
Centralize the University’s branding, marketing, and communication functions. Develop, implement, and manage a comprehensive, strategic, collaborative, creative, and integrated marketing and communications program to drive achievement of the University’s vision. Develop the related policies, procedures, and structures required for timely and effective implementation of the marketing and communications program.
Provide leadership and vision in delivering consistent, inspired, and actionable messages to all of the University’s prospective audiences. Evaluate the brand identity of Franciscan University and enhance its positioning and protection. Measurably increase the University’s brand recognition and affinity. Regularly assess the University’s brand identity and recognition through research and analysis.
Establish metrics to measure the impact and success of the University’s marketing efforts and to support evidence-based, data-driven decision-making processes. Research and continually assess the University’s marketplace and the alignment of its programs and outreach efforts with its mission and market/constituent needs and interests.
Foster a collaborative culture while acting as an agent for innovation and change by introducing strategic marketing to faculty, staff, and administration in a way that fosters genuine understanding and buy-in. Partner with division vice presidents to execute marketing initiatives that support and promote the goals and strategic objectives of their respective functions and the University as a whole. Organize and facilitate marketing committee comprised of key stakeholders, namely, Enrollment Services, Advancement, Academics, Christian Outreach, and Student Affairs/Athletics.
Coordinate synergies and leverage multiple communication platforms including new media (social networks, blogs, podcasts, search engine optimization, etc.) as well as traditional “legacy” media (print, radio, TV) to maximize the reach and impact of distinctive, compelling, and effective branding and marketing.
The successful candidate must understand, embrace, and possess a willingness, ability, and desire to advance the mission of Franciscan University. In addition, the successful candidate will possess the following:
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree – Master’s degree or Doctorate in marketing, communication, public relations, sales or related field preferred.
- At least 10 years of demonstrated marketing expertise for an organization with multiple product lines, constituencies, and/or market niches.
- Demonstrated familiarity and experience with the nuances of higher education branding and marketing.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing comprehensive branding and marketing programs.
- Proven experience with emerging marketing and communication technologies and channels (social networking, blogs, new media, etc.) and a vision for using them strategically at Franciscan University.
- Proven experience in designing and/or specifying market research to be performed.
- Minimum of five years of supervisory experience.
- Three years of financial budget management experience.
- Track record of success in establishing metrics and benchmarks to measure the effectiveness of marketing efforts.
- Demonstrated success in measurably increasing brand identity.
Non-Technical Skills/Competency Requirements:
- Action oriented: Displays initiative, comfortable acting in the absence of clear direction, and has the ability to identify and address impediments to progress.
- Decision quality: Has a knack for getting to the most critical or essential point in a situation or problem, while considering the various stakeholders and effectively involving others when necessary.
- Drive for results: Tenacious in pursuing goals and can be counted on to follow through on commitments and deliver results, displays a continuous appreciation for results and key indicators.
- Managerial courage: Doesn’t hesitate to take unpopular or non-traditional stand on a particular issue and is comfortable challenging the status quo, takes responsibility for one’s decisions – both good and bad.
- Teamwork: Creates and effectively uses opportunities to collaborate with others – genuinely seeking their feedback and buy-in, appreciates and leverages individual differences in perspectives and skills.
- Managing and measuring work: Uses SMART goals and effectively organizes steps, tasks, resources, and timing to accomplish them. Monitors progress toward goals and holds oneself and others accountable for achieving them.
- Interpersonal skills: Finds common ground and gains cooperation and buy-in – relating well to people at all levels of the organization. Has impeccable listening skills, is sensitive and adapts to how different people think and function. Uses diplomacy and tact to diffuse high-tension situations.
- Strategic thinking: Follows relevant trends and accurately anticipates future implications, clearly articulates credible views of threats and opportunities, develops effective strategies as well as workable implementation plans.
- Verbal and written communication: Clearly and comfortably expresses one’s views and thoughts to different audiences both orally and in writing. Is effective at identifying and organizing the key points needed for an effective presentation or written communication. Knows when to appropriately use verbal communication instead of written communication and vice versa.
About Franciscan University of Steubenville
Founded in 1946 by the Franciscan Friars of the Third Order Regular, Franciscan University is known around the world for its enduring fidelity, vibrant campus culture, and academic excellence.
In just under 70 years, Franciscan University of Steubenville has emerged as a leader in academically excellent and passionately Catholic education. By integrating faith and reason in the pursuit of truth and right living, the University has grown from a small facility serving local veterans of World War II to a beautiful hillside campus and an educational institution recognized nationally and internationally for its programs, faculty, and graduates.
Since 2001, the University has been ranked in the elite “first tier” of Midwestern universities by U.S. News and World Report’s guidebook, America’s Top Colleges. Included in every edition of the Cardinal Newman Society’s Guide to Choosing a Catholic College, Franciscan has also been ranked as a top 100 “best value” in private higher education by Kiplinger Personal Finance Magazine since 2011.
Numbered among Franciscan’s graduates are bishops and priests, congressmen and pro-life activists, missionaries, catechists, doctors, lawyers, and teachers. They’re leaders in the Church and culture, serving in the vanguard of the New Evangelization, and they’re doing that, in large part, because of the education in faith and reason they received at Franciscan University.
Read more of our history. | Meet the Franciscans TOR of the Province of the Most Sacred Heart.
A Community Like No Other
Situated just 40 miles west of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and 25 miles from the Pittsburgh International Airport, Franciscan University’s home city of Steubenville, Ohio, offers University employees the best of both worlds: A small town environment with thriving parishes, faithful Catholic schools, an extensive homeschool network, highly rated public schools, and a close-knit supportive community, plus all the amenities of a major metropolitan area, including professional sporting events, a world-class symphony, opera, ballet, theater, shopping, fine dining, and more.
Steubenville is the seat of Jefferson County whose rich natural resources have provided an economic history based in industry and agriculture. Over the last several years, natural gas exploration and production have contributed to significant economic development.
Abundant recreational options in our county include parks, lakes, golf courses, trails, historic sites, wineries, festivals, shopping, and more. A variety of fairs, festivals, and community days show again and again the pride that residents take in their hometowns.
The medical field has seen incredible growth and expansion in Jefferson County over the past several years with new facilities, improved technology, and expanded services. Residents can also enjoy the convenience of top healthcare here at home from University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and Allegheny General Hospital specialists affiliated with local hospitals.
Applications & Nominations
Send nominations, inquiries, and applicant materials to email@example.com.
Applicant materials must include a cover letter that demonstrates:
- Candidate’s understanding, willingness to embrace, and desire to advance the mission of Franciscan University.
- Candidate’s experience, education, and competencies meet position requirements.
Additionally please provide compensation requirements and three references.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Serious Inquiries Only Please: We are intent on hiring accomplished, exceptionally talented, qualified, and mission-committed individuals.
Franciscan University of Steubenville is committed to principles of equal opportunity and is an equal opportunity employer.